[C38] Group 31 battery size

Ann Boochever ctigloo at gci.net
Thu Jul 14 19:40:00 EDT 2011

We have two group 31s in that spot. They are in plastic battery boxes.
Vertical clearance depends on the type of terminal post on your battery. Our
old terminals nearly touched the bottom of the plywood settee insert. The
latest ones have about an inch of clearance. The standard group 31 box
covers are too long to slide down inside the settee opening to cover the top
of the batteries, but they can be trimmed and customized to cover the
terminal posts pretty well. Still use the stock tie downs.

BTW, we just added two more 31s on an enclosed shelf under the chart table
to handle starting and a new electric windlass. Seems to work pretty well.

While we¹re on electrical ‹ does anyone have a copy of Tom Troncalli¹s
instructions about how to replace the ammeter in the engine instrument panel
with  a voltmeter?
And ‹ has anyone replaced the original Universal 5424 Instrument panel with
the one from Catalina Direct? How well has that worked?
Scott Miller
Tacita II