[C38] Chicago Mac news

Joseph Launie jlaunie at cox.net
Fri Jul 22 02:31:05 EDT 2011

Chuck,
     This is relevant only because some of our members may be thinking
of getting rid of their C-38 YACHT and replacing it with what Olin
Stevens used to call a skimming dish. I have never seen a Kimi 35 but I
hear it has 8 foot waterline beam and 14 foot deck beam. It sounds like
a crew ballasted boat. When I did overnite races in my Cal-25, Olson-30
and then C-38 I used to send the off watch below with instructions to
get in their bunk and get some rest.  All of those boats had
accommodations to do that unlike a Farr 40 or many similar boats.
     The paper says the Kiwi 35 capsized.  What does that mean in a
sailboat? Spreaders in the water and the boat comes right back up
--change your underwear and you are fine. Spreaders in the water and
boat stays down - not so good.  If it turns turtle like the Nicholson
Half tonner in the Fastnet Race - big problems.  I thought we learned
something from the 1979 Fastnet and modern racing boats weren't supposed
to do that. Joe Launie/Macavity  PS It would be interesting to know how
many boats had finished when the squall hit.