[C38] Chicago Mac news

Chuck Finn charles at finn.ws
Fri Jul 22 07:52:13 EDT 2011

Joe,
I also was amazed regarding this boat design and the fact it has a
history of "turtleing."   The fastest boats beat the storm by about an
hour, but a huge part of the fleet was right in the middle of it.  I
understand about 20 boats dropped out as they participated in the
rescue/search.
Practical Sailor sent out a note yesterday regarding tethers, suggesting
the two fatalities "might" have not been able to release their tethers
(they both were found still attached to the boat).   I know my tethers
have no quick release on them......
Regarding storms.  The statistics are a bit alarming.  USCG reports that
20 people died sailing the Great Lakes last year (no breakdown of
alcohol or other issues).  My boat, the Mighty Quinn, was knocked
down/struck by lightning in the 1988 Chicago-Mac.  The hit pretty much
turned the rudder into mush within a couple of days and the rig was
replaced afterward with heavier cable.  The good news is not only did
the boat survive, but went on to win her division in the Chicago Mac
that year!

A previous boat of ours  (Cascade 36) was in the Trans-Superior Race
when 13 boats were dis-masted during another storm...  Our rig was
sturdy and survived with only a destroyed jib after being knocked down
during that storm.  A not-so-funny observation is that most of my really
bad experiences have been at night....

As you might ascertain, I prefer "tough, seaworthy boats and do so from
as you say "having to change my underwear" more than a few times!  But,
even on the best boats with the best crews....  things happen.   We all
need to learn from our (and others) mistakes as we go along.  So, let's
be safe out there!

Regards,
Chuck Finn