[C38] Pedestal mounted chart plotter

Steve Smolinske SSmolinske at rainierrubber.com
Mon Aug 8 23:41:57 EDT 2011

Rich,

I have a Garmin 5208 mounted in a NavPod at the binnacle.  I had to replace the grab rail with one that was taller and slanted forward.   It does not get in the way of the wheel and does not block the view forward unless the driver is short say around 5'2" or so.   There are photos on my blog and a video which give a good perspective of the unit.    http://peregrine-cat38.blogspot.com/  The only draw back with my unit is that at night it is kind of cumbersome to play iwth the backlighting so that you can read the chart when you need and not to be blinded when you dont need it.   With our new nexus instruments we dont use the chart plotter that much while racing, we enter waypoints in the garmin unit at the nav station and it updates course info to our instruments. However when crusing with the wife I use it all the time,   It has  chart plotting, radar and AIS, very nice addition to have handy when you really need it.

Steve
#312 Peregrine
Seattle