[C38] Pedestal mounted chart plotter

Joseph Launie jlaunie at cox.net
Tue Aug 9 03:35:46 EDT 2011

Richard,
     I got tired of the crew being in the way of instruments mounted on
the cabin and moved everything to the wheel. I have  a Garmin tracking
GPS, older model, that I hAve the racing waypoints in. I use this to get
bearing to mark, VMG, speed and track.  On top of the pedestal I have a
Garmin wind instrument. It talks to the GPS somehow and gives me true
and apparent wind. It is in an edson mount but needs an addition to the
pedestral to protect it. Highest thing - folks grab the instrument. The
ugly ducking is my Ratheon radar and chart plotter. For club buoy racing
I rarely turn it on. I had it mounted before I realized all the data was
in letters too small for me to read without my reading glasses which I
do not have out in the cockpit while racing. We ran the wires including
co-ax  inside the binnacle guard.  Most unpleasant experience. Edson now
makes a binnacle guard made out of larger pipe which I recommend if you
are running co-ax inside.  No problem with wheel access. We have a 42
inch Lewmar split wheel. It works well except the halves did not line up
out of the box. Lewmar blew off 4 emails and 5 phone calls. Defender
industries told me they buy tens of thousands of Lewmar stuff per month
and Lewmar does not return their phone calls. Joe Launie/MACAVITY