[C38] Pedestal mounted chart plotter

les hlhowell at pacbell.net
Sat Aug 13 12:22:11 EDT 2011

On Mon, 2011-08-08 at 20:29 -0700, Richard West wrote:
> Does anyone have their radar screen or chart plotter mounted at their
> Edson pedestal?  If so, what did you use for the mount?  Does it get
> in the way of getting to or from the wheel?  Does it block your view
> forward at all?  Photos would be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>

> Rich, Legacy, Los Angeles
For JACE, we chose the Eagle chartplotter.  It is reasonable in size,
but small.  I created a mount from a piece of Mahogeny I had on hand.  I
took a 1"x3"x8" piece. Drilled a 1" hole about 3/4" from one end, then
cut a notch out, through the middle of the hole, and used the notch
piect to bolt around the pedestal guard.  I ran the cables up through
the deck and into the pedestal guard, and out a hole about 1" below the
location I had decided on for the "arm".  The standard mount is mounted
by a 1&3/4" screw through the center of the bottom, through two very
large fender washers, through the "arm" and then a washer and nyloc nut.
The arm will swivel on the pedestal guard and the chartplotter will
swivel on the arm, so it is articulated enough to reverse it and hide
from the wind in the dodger while watching the gps.  The NMEA cable
routes down through the guard to the interface to the autopilot.  This
lets the GPS give route and course information to the autopilot (a
Wheelpilot).  The setup works quite well, with the exception that the
autopilot wants to go off course about 1 mile before being guided by the
gps.  I have been told by the autopilot company that this is due to its
not being calibrated. But I have run the cal procedure many times to no
effect.

In any event, it will run a course, but goes past the way points quite a
distance before correcting back to the desired course.

The wheel pilot remote can be plugged into a distribution cable
receptacle that I mounted in the port Lazerette.  This permits me to run
the remote into the cabin via the galley pass through, and also run the
remote at the chart table where I had an older garmin mounted. The
garmin has run its course, and needs to be replaced.

Next time I'm at the boat I will take a picture.

Sorry for the late response on this one, I am just cleaning out my inbox
and came across this.

Regards,
Les H