[C38] Rudder replacement and bearings.

Steve Smolinske SSmolinske at rainierrubber.com
Thu Sep 1 15:54:42 EDT 2011

Max,

Not sure  about the rudder bearing, we installed a new rudder this last
April, we wrapped a wrap of mylar around the post and I was surprised
how much of the slop it ended taking out.   Our posts at least mine was
a two part design, tube welded inside a tube then the webbing welded to
the tube.   Our post was  also pouruous and corroded around the entry
point into the rudder but the post  was  actually able to be reused in
the new  rudder, we did not have  water inside the old rudder however.
If you are replacing the rudder, I know you can get  a stock  one from
Catalina, they also may be able to take the higher aspect rudder of the
I think the 36 and modify it to fit, or there is Phils foils who did our
new one or CSI and Foss Foam who did Larrys rudder.   Our blog has  a
pic of our rudder.   Good luck.

Steve