[C38] Rudder replacement and bearings.

Max Soto maxsoto at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 22:14:58 EDT 2011

Hey Steve, how much did they charged for your rudder?? I was looking at
their web page and they have the C38 rudder with your desogn for $3500...
that's a lot!!!

If I'm not mistaken, someone replaced the post from his rudder, but don't
remember who did it and I wasn't able to find it on the archives....
I'm sure I can do that, but I still have to get the post. Catalina do have
them. When I was at the factory in CA, the engineer showed me the C38 post
with no blade, but I don't know if they will assemble it and sell it as a
complete rudder...
MAx

2011/9/1 Steve Smolinske <SSmolinske at rainierrubber.com>

> Max,
>
> Not sure  about the rudder bearing, we installed a new rudder this last
> April, we wrapped a wrap of mylar around the post and I was surprised
> how much of the slop it ended taking out.   Our posts at least mine was
> a two part design, tube welded inside a tube then the webbing welded to
> the tube.   Our post was  also pouruous and corroded around the entry
> point into the rudder but the post  was  actually able to be reused in
> the new  rudder, we did not have  water inside the old rudder however.
> If you are replacing the rudder, I know you can get  a stock  one from
> Catalina, they also may be able to take the higher aspect rudder of the
> I think the 36 and modify it to fit, or there is Phils foils who did our
> new one or CSI and Foss Foam who did Larrys rudder.   Our blog has  a
> pic of our rudder.   Good luck.
>
> Steve

Max Soto
C38 #198 ESTANCIA