[C38] Blower

les hlhowell at pacbell.net
Sat Sep 3 21:40:36 EDT 2011

On Fri, 2011-09-02 at 07:23 -0700, Pierre Patino wrote:
> Mine just went out. It's on the repair list but I've not tried to
> figure out its location. Can someone help me save a few long minutes?
> Cheers

I don't know if they are all in the same place, but on JACE, the blower
was in the starboard side of the boat crammed into the coaming area next
to the floor in the aft cockpit seat.  It was wired across the bottom of
the cockpit sole to the switches in the old panel.  The new panel
doesn't even have a blower switch, so on the new power panel I added a
breaker for the bilge blower.

Someone asked if one is necessary.  I can't answer that, but I will tell
you all that one evening in a port that shall remain unamed due to the
fact that the issue I am describing wasn't their fault, A power
generator on the shore had apparently had a problem with fuel mixture
and vented a large cloud of carbon monoxide.  Our alarm went off and we
cranked on the bilge blower, opened the cockpit and went topside.  We
both had mild headaches, and we aroused our neighbors and got them
topside as well.  The blower soon cleared out the boat, the ruckus of
the boats waking up and lights coming on, alerted someone on shore and
the generator was quickly shut down.  In about 10 minutes Jace was clean
and the alarm went silent.  Some of our neighbors were up for much
longer.  Don't know if they thought to turn on their bilge fans or not,
but ours sure helped us.

Regards,
Les H