[C38] How to approach an argument with a sailor

David A Hadfield dahadfield at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 21:10:22 EDT 2011

Anders

Interesting back and forth. My thoughts are one you keep stating hull speed
which clearly your friend is not referring to. The SC37 can plane in the
teens. Her statement can only be ratified, modified by asking her Mates.
They could, I imagine, all be in on it but they are racing in a finite
course and as I believe you suspect their SC37 is having runs into the teens
just not substained. Thanks for the fun.

On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 9:31 AM, Anders Finn <anders at finn.ws> wrote:

> Advice seeking time.
>
> So, I've got a friend who sails on a VERY fast boat. A very winning boat.
> Probably one of the fastest in San Francisco. It's crewed by a bunch of
> amazing sailors including some Cup guys. However, she's not really a sailor
> and I've had to explain things like what a knot is vs mph. The boat is a
> Santa Cruz 37 rates in a 27PHRF. Now, she claims and has some text messages
> from other crew saying they've hit 26knots in the bay. I call BS. I pull out
> all my math on hull speed, plain force calculations on what it would take to
> make that boat go into full plane. I've tried showing what PHRF means and
> that a 27 means they only average 1/2 knot faster than the J/105's. I've
> tried pulling out their race times and showing they're only averaging about
> 6-7knots during races. . This does not matter.
>
>  Probably most of us have seen exceedences in hull speed for our boats
> going down waves and whatnot. However, that's not the claim. The claim is
> they REGULARLY go 16-20 knots in bay races. This is 2x or more their hull
> speed. .
>
> Thoughts on how to explain this or anyone have experience with a SC37?
>
> Anders

Respectfully,
David Hadfield

Plan-B Design Group