[C38] How to approach an argument with a sailor

Steve Smolinske SSmolinske at rainierrubber.com
Tue Sep 13 23:49:52 EDT 2011

That video is from last years Oregon Offshore,  when the whale breached and demasted La Orca,  Timm and Victoria Lessly who own the Cal 40 are fantastic sailors having done a number of Transpacs and PCups, they hold a record for one of the Pac Cups.  Wonderful people and great competitors,  the link below shows La Orca after the demasting, the narrator wrongly points out that the Blue chute is La Orca (they had a multi colored chute up)  That is actually Peregrine flying the blue chute, and it came down twice within the first hour.  We blew a shackle once and mistakenly thought it happened  the second time when a sheet slipped,  we decided twice was enough and kept it down.  Later putting up our A3 until we rounded up.      Interesting point about hull speed we learned in this race and the Coastal Cup.   I was pretty disappointed we were having kite problems (first time flying the A4) and decided 22 knots was not the time to experiment, so we ran wing and wing with a double reefed main and #3 sustaining hull speed all day and night.  I thought we were so screwed and were left behind by the fleet as I watched California Girl sail off.    The next morning we were ahead of them when we got into the straits.   When you think about it, surfing momentarily in the teens is exciting but over the length of a long course you really dont pick up that much, and one wipe out can put you 20-30 minutes behind as you clean up the mess.  Stan Honey stressed to our navigator before Transpac to look for enough wind to sustain hull speed anything else is not going to do much for a displacement boat as hull speed is hull speed.

 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JYs92oECFE