[C38] Alternators

Steve Smolinske SSmolinske at rainierrubber.com
Thu Sep 15 00:30:58 EDT 2011

Larry,

I have a balmar series 6 100 amp alternator and it pumps out between 68-90 amps depending on temperature it was the largest I could fit on the original bracket and uses one belt.  Came with the external ARS-5 regulator which is slick in that it lets you setup the battery type that you have for the most effecient charge.   I have two AGM 220 6v batteries in the house bank and when racing charge for an 45 minutes to an hour a day.  During charging we run the watermaker and refrigerator and have 50+ amps left over going into the bank.   Everything on the boat is LED and when we race we dont use the Garmin Chartpotter at the helm just the smaller one at the sub panel that is tied into the Nexus instruments we only draw about 2.5-3 amps an hour in the evenings with instruments, cabin lights and running lights.   The balmar site is full of great reference material and their tech support is very good, willing to spend the time to educate you and answer all your questions.

Steve