[C38] Yankee 38

Joseph Launie jlaunie at cox.net
Thu Sep 15 01:52:58 EDT 2011

Phil,
     Great pix - they clearly show the skeg. The Yankee 38 was designed
to the IOR rule which determined its shape. Frank Butler kept the basic
hull shape and mold but designed a dryer, more comfortable boat with his
typical Southern California interior.  Another West Coast touch was the
deeper keel.  Removal of that skeg   probably helps make the C-38 a
little hairy close to dead down in heavy air. On Macavity, we reach with
our Assy sails   and avoid dead down. In fact, we seldom go deeper than
160. Joe Launie,    Macavity