[C38] Alternators

les hlhowell at pacbell.net
Fri Sep 16 04:31:00 EDT 2011

Hi, Larry,
	A 500A bank will charge at about 50A unless the input voltage is
boosted a bit. (most lead acid batteries will "naturally" charge (with
13.6v applied) at about 1/10 the capacity.  If you raise the voltage you
will charge faster, but you will also shorten the life of the batteries
a bit.  Partly due to outgassing due to heat and partly due to
ionization (i.e. some of the water will be lost).  This will also mean
that the water that is lost essentially evaporates at the face of the
anode and cathode of the battery, and if there is any hardness at all to
the water, calcification of the plates.

	There is some nice information on the Trojan Battery web site, and
probably on most of the other manufacturers websites as well.

	However if you run an inverter, with the engine running you will want
an alternator that covers the current plus a bit for keeping the
batteries going.

	Short answer... you should not need a 150A alternator.  But you might
ask the mechanic why he is recommending it just to feel out his
knowledge and reasoning.  It may be valid.

Regards,
Les H