[C38] Watermakers

Steve Smolinske SSmolinske at rainierrubber.com
Thu Sep 15 23:25:30 EDT 2011

Craig,

Here are the pics of our installation its a Spectra Ventura 150, makes about 7 gallons an hour and draws 10 amps.   As you can see we removed the forward tank and installed a new bulkhead with aluminum shelf that the unit hangs from.   we take water from the throughull that use to feed the head it is now dedicated to the water maker,  we installed our knot meter on centerline and used the old knot meter hole for the head and galley sea water pump.   The brine discharge is teed into the galley sink drain.   Our unit also has the ability to do an automatic fresh water flush so that you dont have to pickle between uses it is connected to the head sink fresh water, filters and  pumps were installed forward underneath the drawers on the port and starboard side in the vee berth.  I may move the filters to someplace like inside the head for better access, as they need to be changed often depending on use and conditions.   The unit alarmed after three hours of use in the harbor when we returned to Long Beach and were trouble shooting with the tech to determine what went wrong.   He told me filters in the open water can last a very long  time and in polluted areas such as harbors only a few hours as was our experience.

We put the new starboard tank in, which the Catalina drawings on the site list incorrectly as a 20 gallon tank it is actually only 14,  we disconnected the fresh water deck fill and capped it off so when using a hose you need to fill from the top of the tank, I also abandonded the stanchion vent and ran a new vent inside the hanging locker so as to eliminate the possiblity of salt water entering the tank.   Will be writing an article on the install along with everything I learn when I rebuild the unit next month to find out for sure why it failed.   We suspect oil in the membrane, make sure not to run your unit near naturally occuring oil seeps as I did or in shipping lanes where you could cross bilge discharge or in the harbor.

Steve