[C38] need big prop

Chuck Finn charles at finn.ws
Fri Sep 16 08:17:36 EDT 2011

Max,
Several of us have the Campbell Sailer prop from West by North.  They
cost about $500 and you can get whatever size/pitch you want, working
with their designer.  When I bought the Mighty Quinn, it came with a two
blade michigan and a martec folding prop.  I found the folding prop
wasn't much good for anything but meeting racing requirements.  And, the
two blade prop left me thinking the 5424 was seriously under-powered for
my boat....   It is hard to describe how much difference the Sailer prop
made.  Lots more power at lower rpms.  Much less prop walk.  Markedly
less engine noise and vibration.  And, less drag than the two blade.
As to the racing question.  While PHRF rating systems differ by club,
many do tax your for the folding prop.  My club assesses 6 seconds for a
folding prop.
And finally, because everyone in my club knows I am a diver.  I
routinely get calls from friends to "take a look at" their keel, prop,
rudder, paddle wheel.  Usually, all this entails is to put down my wine
glass and dive over the side, but a couple times of late it has been to
try to release folded props.  In both instances all I had to do was work
them back and forth and they released, but a lot of the folks I sail
with are not capable of doing this themselves.  Not a good thing when
you are at some anchorage and have to power home.  I really like
reliability!

Chuck Finn
Mighty Quinn  #114
Great Lakes