[C38] Port Side Winch Access and Secondary Winch sizing

Steven Ribble steve.ribble at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 15:31:01 EDT 2011

Regarding the 30st's...nope, not enough for the jib.  You can use them in a
pinch with a 100% +/- and/or in light air conditions with a genoa, but they
would be working pretty hard beyond that.  For what it's worth I am also
looking to add 30's as my secondaries; they're a good choice for the chute
sheets.

PS: the 52st primaries I installed this spring were Joe's old ones!...thanks
again Joe, they were a vast improvement over the standard 55's I had!

Steve R

On Monday, September 19, 2011, Joseph Launie <jlaunie at cox.net> wrote:
> Alex,
>     I replaced both primary winches with Harken electric winches. On my
boat (hull number 365) there was a galley light directly under the winch. I
had to cut a huge access hole to get to the winches on both sides.  Joe
launie/Macavity

> On 9/19/2011 7:31 AM, Alex Ho wrote:
>
> Does anyone know where the access to the bolts are for the port-side
primary winch?  Looking to upgrade the old winches to self-tailers but can
seem to see where the bolts come underneath.

> Also, I have a pair of Lewmar 30ST to install for secondaries for
spinnaker, but wondering if these are strong enough to be used for the JIB
during normal cruising conditions.  I am trying to organize the hardware to
make it easy for single-handled sailing..

> Thank you,
>

> Alex Ho
>
> Hull #183

Steve Ribble