[C38] Head Gasket

Jay Sorensen jsorensen at novarx.com
Mon Sep 19 12:09:13 EDT 2011

Good Morning All,

Looking for some advice here. Our beloved 5424 overheated last weekend
(failed belt, during an anniversary trip!) and now there is the smallest
of coolant leaks from the head gasket near the F/W pump housing.  Oil
seems unaffected but I'm not sure about coolant entering the cylinders.
Any leak must be very small as after the trip the coolant level was
imperceptibly lower.  I presume that at least the head gasket needs
replacement and a probable machining of the head, correct??  Or does
anyone on the list have any good experience with a gasket leak sealer?
I've never tried them and I don't think I trust them unless I hear
glowing reviews.

So I currently plan to move the engine into the galley to remove the
head and have it checked.  Doesn't seem reasonable to try to remove it
in place, correct??  Any recommendations on how to easily move 350 lbs
of engine out of the engine bay??  I've seen videos of hoisting it out
once it's on the galley floor, but not the initial removal phase.   I'm
sure someone out there has done it a few times!  I've ordered a complete
top end gasket kit and hope to start this week.

So far this has been a tough little motor that has always done its best
by us.  We just want it to be perfect again.

Thanks for any suggestions, including why the high temp audio alarm did
not work!

Jay Sorensen

C-38 Broad Reach, #311

San Diego, CA