[C38] Head Gasket

Jay Sorensen jsorensen at novarx.com
Mon Sep 19 15:58:58 EDT 2011

Thanks for the ideas Tom!

The complete top end gasket set was only $109 from Yacht Supply Depot.
It's part 07916-24345 for the 1985 Kubota block and manifold that make
up our Universal M-30.  Just the head gasket would have run about $45.
If your idea works then I'll keep the kit as a spare when we cruise
Mexico.

Do you happen to know how warm the engine has to be for the Bar's to set
up?  Our engine seems to run very cool (140 degrees) even at max speed
and I have been wondering how to safely increase the operating temp to
the 160-190 as specified.  I was hoping this would minimized carbon
build up in our exhaust system.  I've heard an automotive thermostat may
work but would like to discuss with someone with more experience.  Maybe
I just need to partially close the raw water inlet valve!

So I'll figure out a way to re-torque the bolts in place and try the
Bar's.  And I completely agree with you on the resurface and valve
grind.  My Dad was a German car mechanic and always did it to our cars
when pulling a head for any reason.  Believed it was "false economy" not
to.

Thanks!..............Jay