[C38] Twin Disc direct replacement for Hurth or ZF tranmissions

Steven Ribble steve.ribble at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 07:10:02 EDT 2011

Hi Mark, welcome to the C38 family!  As you already know it's a great boat
and you'll soon find out that this listserv is a great resource.

We just had this very discussion about winch access 4 or 5 days ago and you
can see the thread in the archive via the website.  It's in the member area
under "Mailing List".  This is where contacting Steve Orton pays off because
it's not on the public side of the website...then again, if you're posting
here, you've probably already joined.

Anyway, BEFORE YOU GO CUTTING NEW ACCESS HOLES, I have #64, a 1980 model and
I have access to the nuts of both port and starboard primary winches.  The
starboard is a nice little recessed access hole with a teak trim cover above
the quarter berth and the port side is at the top of the froward end or the
cockpit locker.  Conveniently for me this is completely obscured by my water
heater.

I swapped out my original 55 3-speeds for Joe's old 52st's this past spring.
 The port access is actually the space where the underside of the cockpit
coaming raises up above a fiberglass bulkhead that's approximately even with
the deck.  I removed the 4 screws holding the water heater in place and
slide it over to get enough room to reach into the access "tunnel" (the nuts
are a couple of feet in from the forward edge of the locker).  I also had
previously removed my LP tank locker (which is located at the aft end of the
cockpit locker) so I could get my fat butt inside the cockpit locker.

As with the previous thread, the biggest 'lesson learned' I can offer is for
you to place masking tape (or something) over the fiberglass edge(s) that
you will be reaching over to avoid getting all those shards in your
arm...they can be very annoying!

Hope this helps, good luck!

Steve Ribble
Tittravate #64