[C38] Fuel tank sending unit

les hlhowell at pacbell.net
Wed Sep 28 01:55:23 EDT 2011

On Tue, 2011-09-27 at 21:48 -0700, Daniel Seigenthaler wrote:
> Hi all,
> Finally getting around to replacing my sending unit. Gauge works, tank end is wore out  Catalina Direct, West Marine, and Defender all seem to have "universal" sending units in the $35-50 range.  Does anyone have a recent success story with one of these after market units or has someone found the original source?  Thanks, Dan

Hi, Guys,
	Fuel tank sending units are all pretty much the same due to the design,
legal and safety requirements.  I replaced JACE (now Knee Deep)'s fuel
sender with a generic Big Rig unit from a local parts store.  You only
need to know the tank depth to get the right length sending arm.  If
not, just reach in and measure it with a handy tape measure (clean it
well first with fresh diesel to avoid contamination of your fuel).  The
ones from West Marine trademarked Tempo did not stand up well.  The big
rig one lasted at least 7 years, and was still working (up until the day
I sold the boat of course).

Regards,
Les H