[C38] Holes in boats

Chuck Finn charles at finn.ws
Mon Oct 3 12:04:46 EDT 2011

This happened to Anders (our webmaster) on the Mighty Quinn last summer!
When I had the transmission replaced on the Mighty Quinn, the shipyard
did not adequately tighten the two set screws that hold the shaft to
the  coupling.   Without going into all the drama, he got the dinghy
painter rapped on the prop shaft at night (of course).  Once he dove and
fixed that... he put the boat in reverse and out went the prop shaft!
While he was wondering what was wrong, folks yelled water was rising in
the cabin!  They towed the boat to a dock slip that had only 8 foot
depth and pumped like crazy.  Figured it would only sink 1.5 feet at
worst....    Anders then dove the boat and saw the prop shaft hanging in
the cutlass bearing.  Amazingly, he was able to re-insert the shaft by
hand with a dive light.
The shipyard of course said it couldn't possibly be their fault!

By the way, the two bilge pumps couldn't even remotely keep up.  We had
a portable pump at the docks and even that was just not going to make it.
Scary!

Chuck Finn
Mighty Quinn,  #114
Great Lakes