[C38] Bilge Stories

Larry Malmberg Larrypi at roadrunner.com
Mon Oct 3 12:22:58 EDT 2011

Well, I have to chime in here with my bilge story.  After completing the
Trans Pac in 09 I had hired a delivery crew to bring Hassle back to Long
Beach CA.  It took them 22 days to come back, three guys who shall remain
nameless in this posting.  LOL  The skipper called me and said that they
were back and Hassle was in the slip.  I thought "great news indeed" as I
had not heard from them at all during the trip even thought we had a sat
phone on board and I had asked them to call me periodically on the way back.
The skipper didn't want to run up a sat phone bill!  LOL

The next morning I got a call from a live aboard two slips down from Hassle,
she told me that she had gone to the shower in the morning and took a look
at Hassle as Hassle was back in her slip, on the way back to her boat she
noticed that Hassle was sitting low in the water!  I gave her the combo to
the lock and asked her to look inside which she did.  "Larry, there's about
four inches of water in the cabin!" she exclaimed.  Yipes I thought, I told
her where the switch was to put the bilge pump on manual and she tried it,
no such luck, it wasn't working at all.  She called a few friends and
subsequently the local fire department which came and started pumping out
the cabin and bilge.  I live about 70 miles from Long Beach so I called the
skipper who delivered her as he lives closer to Long Beach, his exclamation
of, "Dam the bilge pump wasn't working" shocked me to say the least.  He
actually left the boat at the dock with a non working bilge pump.  Needless
to say he was there shortly and fixed the problem, a bad float switch
but.....

Speaking of bad float switches, we had one fail on the return this year as
well, had to jump it out and go manual from time to time as it was one of
the things I didn't have a spare for, do now though.  LOL

Best regards,

Larry Malmberg
Team Hassle