[C38] give your manual tiller a try

Don Strong drstrong at ucdavis.edu
Sat Nov 5 14:44:04 EDT 2011

Patrick: You may have to rig something to get the tiller or a surrogate
L shaped rig over the top of the wheel framework.
An alternative is a little short temporary tiller that you rig to swing
free of the wheel framework.
Else, have Berkeley Marine Center (or KKMI, or a yard in Alameda, or
another) come over and tow it to their facility for repair.
Don

On 11/5/11 11:37 AM, Joseph Launie wrote:
> Patrick,
>     I would call the repair facility and ask them to come get your
> boat from its slip. In Santa Barbara our yard has a dinghy with a
> powerful engine they use as a tow boat to move boats in and out of
> their slips to the yard. The cost should be part of your insurance
> claim. Joe Launie/Macavity
>
> On 11/5/2011 10:16 AM, Patrick Harpole wrote:
>> While pulling out of slip last weekend, I lost control of "Blue
>> eyes."  She bumped into boat next to me. Cut to the chase. Insurance
>> damage fellow determined that the "loss of control" stemmed from
>> "quadrant separated from the rudder stock."  What that means is the
>> rudder no workie.  LOL.
>> My question to you nautical guys and gals,  "Can I steer my boat to
>> repair facility with manual tiller?"
>> Anyone want to come along for the ride?
>> Patrick

Donald R. Strong