[C38] Rudder

tdtron at earthlink.net tdtron at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 5 15:27:58 EDT 2011

When I first had my boat back in the early '90's I had a guy on board who
forced the wheel past the stops causing the quadrant to lose the cable.
The stop was wood so it wasn't my crew's fault.  I later converted the wood
stop to aluminum so it couldn't happen again by the wood stop getting soft.

I disconnected the cables from the quadrant and hooked up the emergency
tiller.  We had to remove the wheel to allow the emergency tiller to swing
but we were able to sail back to port safely.  If you remove your wheel and
grease the shaft and reinstall the nut fairly loosely, it will help with
removal in an emergency situation.

The weather helm makes the short emergency tiller a workout but by reefing
the main and sailing mostly on the jib we were able to sail quite a
distance back to port without a problem.

Even if you call a tow it is very beneficial to have rudder control.  I
have only needed an emergency tiller once in my life but it sure came in
handy on that cruise.

Tom Troncalli

She