[C38] top down furler for asym?

Joseph Launie jlaunie at cox.net
Sun Nov 20 16:42:03 EST 2011

Don,
     We quit using the sock with the assy because we had more problems
with the sock than the chute. We use a cone and pack the chute with
elastic bands every 6 to 8 feet. To drop we use a windward drop. You
essentially, raise the genoa first, then totally blow the chute and pull
it to weather so that  you are dropping it on the inside of the genoa.
Then the sewer person pulls it down the forward hatch. Sailing world
covered this awhile back.

     We have a masthead chute and genoa. We learned the hard way - NEVER
furl the genoa with a chute up or spin halyard loose. The furler will
eat the chute and it will not come down. We learned this in a race one
day. The fleet went toward Santa Barbara while we sailed down the ocean
towards Ventura.  We drop our furling sail on chute sets. Joe
Launie/Macavity