[C38] Autohelm / Raymarine Type 1 linear drive installation

David Epstein davidepstein at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 29 15:55:21 EST 2011

Max,

Do you know if it is a Type 1 (12 in stroke) or a Type1L (16 in
stroke)?  If it is a Type 1, my notes indicate that it rated for up
to a 22,000 lb boat, requires a 10" tiller arm, and it has a maximum
of +/-35 degrees of rudder travel.   The 1L is good up to 33,000 lbs,
requires a 16" tiller arm as is also limited to +/-35 degrees.

SuperStar's rudder has about 90 degrees of travel (+/-45), so if your
boat has similar range, you may have to modify your stops on each
side so that you don't have a problem when the linear drive is in
bypass.  I would think you could be able to make the Raymarine unit
work on a 38.

When I did my research, I concluded that the absolute best solution
for SuperStar would be the Nexus/ComNav HP-40 integrated linear drive
(or the AP-23 with a separate pump), as it is fast, powerful and has
up to +/-50 degrees of travel with the specified tiller arm
length.  I have not yet purchased a Nexus drive unit, so I can't tell
you about any firsthand results...

David Epstein
SuperStar, #122
Marina del Rey, CA