[C38] Autohelm / Raymarine Type 1 linear drive installation

Richard West rw at idea-asylum.com
Wed Nov 30 09:04:00 EST 2011

Hi David,

We had the Nexus (Comnav) autopilot electronics on Legacy for about 10,000
miles and it performed well except for one problem we were never able to
solve.  We would get an error warning every four hours or so but it
wouldn't cause any problems.  This was a model they were selling 10 years
ago so I doubt it has any resemblance to their current units.  Before
deciding to replace the unit, I called their tech support and they were
very helpful.  They told me to send it in and they would evaluate the unit.
 All in all, I was very impressed by the company and their products.

Now that we're replacing all the electronics, we're going with the Simrad
AP24 course computer.  From what I understand, Simrad (Navico) bought
Robertson.  I hope to have it installed in the next few weeks.  I'll let
everyone know how it works.

As for the drive, we had an old hydraulic pump unit made by WH.  It's
worked well.  It uses a Hynautics cylinder and a 1/4 HP motor.  We're
replacing this with a more modern helm pump and a new cylinder.

Rich, Legacy, #360