[C38] Teak

S Orton ssorton at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 3 18:51:53 EST 2011

Larry,  Forget the varnish, etc and apply cheap lemon oil furniture polish from Wal-mart!  Apply once a year and your done.
Cheers, Steve

Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2011 18:06:33 -0800
From: jlaunie at cox.net
To: listserve at catalina38.org
Subject: Re: [C38] Teak

Larry,
    Must not fool with mother nature. Teak is an oily wood.  The perfectly wrong thing to do is seal the outside with varnish or polywhatever.  That prevents the wood from acting naturally and will be attacked from the inside from the teal oil and outside from the sun or other light. I had a number of drinks at Marina del Rey with an expert teak varnisher.
He explained all this and told me that people paid him to ruin their teak with varnish,

    So - remove any varnish that is there - clean the teak and OIL it.  This will permit the natural teak oil to do its thing and replenish it. We have oiled the teak on Macavity for 20 years - inside and out. Joe