[C38] Teak

Joseph Launie jlaunie at cox.net
Fri Dec 2 21:06:33 EST 2011

Larry,
     Must not fool with mother nature. Teak is an oily wood.  The
perfectly wrong thing to do is seal the outside with varnish or
polywhatever.  That prevents the wood from acting naturally and will be
attacked from the inside from the teal oil and outside from the sun or
other light. I had a number of drinks at Marina del Rey with an expert
teak varnisher.
He explained all this and told me that people paid him to ruin their
teak with varnish,

     So - remove any varnish that is there - clean the teak and OIL it.
This will permit the natural teak oil to do its thing and replenish it.
We have oiled the teak on Macavity for 20 years - inside and out. Joe