[C38] Symetrical Spinnakers

Jay Sorensen jsorensen at novarx.com
Mon Jul 30 20:26:13 EDT 2012

Hello All,

We flew our 0.75 oz spinnaker for the first time yesterday during a
family sail and have a couple of questions for the group.

1.                   During the douse the spin halyard got stuck and
appeared to be caught on the roller furling gear near the masthead.  Is
this common?  Also, is it normal to roller furl the jib when using a
symmetrical chute or do you really need to drop it on deck?  I race on a
Serendipity 43 and Swan 51 with a deck sweeper jibs that are dropped
when flying a chute, and on a J-105 that rolls the jib while flying an
asymmetrical, so having a roller furler and a symmetrical chute is new
to us.

2.                   While working to get the chute down we added a few
new tears to the many that were there previously so was going to put out
a call to anyone who might have a used symmetrical spinnaker(s)
(0.5-0.75oz) laying around that they are not using.  Will pay a
reasonable price plus shipping!

3.                   And lastly, does anyone who uses very light
spinnaker sheets in light air have a preference for light weight
shackles.  The plastic Lewmar ones we use on the Serendipity tend to
open up under load and I thought one of you may have a preferable
option??  Or maybe we'll just tie on light line!

Thanks much!

Jay & Dorothy Sorensen

C-38 #311 Broad Reach

San Diego, CA