[C38] ball on top of jib halyard

Donald Strong drstrong at ucdavis.edu
Tue Jul 31 15:43:42 EDT 2012

Jay:
    There is a ball on top of our jib halyard. The ball prevents the shackle from touching the sheave.
The jib is the center halyard of the three on the foredeck. I might mention that our new 110% was a
tad shorter on the luff than its predecessor, which caused the top swivel of the furler to hang up.
This problem was solved with a 5" soft pennant between the head of the sail and the top swivel of
the furler.
     We fly our spinnaker from the port side halyard, which exits the mast over a 6" horizontal crane.
The crane holds the halyard and shackle away from the rest of the action up there.