[C38] Need vote for dodger design

tdtron at earthlink.net tdtron at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 9 09:10:48 EST 2012

Hello Max,

Any of the dodgers in your selections would make a great addition to your
boat. The original Bimini on our boat was shorter for and aft and only
attached to the cabin top allowing easier entry from the side stanchion
gates.

One other thing you may want to consider while you are designing it is to
install a zipper on the back top edge of the dodger. This will allow you to
make a filler to connect between the dodger and a Bimini making one
continuos canopy from traveler to stern.

With this addition you will be able to keep the entire cockpit area dry and
out of the sun when you want to but still have the option of being in the
open air for racing and other times.  This filler with zippers attaching to
the Dodger and Bimini can be removed in seconds.

The filler was the next project I had planned on our boat before we sold
it.  I had made a test filler from a wrong color salvage material I had
just to try it and we loved it!  Although we kept our boat in Florida which
isn't near as low in latitude as you are, we still greatly appreciated the
extra shade in Summer and the rain protection from tropical squalls.  The
filler keeps the quarter berth cooler also.

Tom Troncalli
Recovering ex-Catalina owner

after a peeling, new epoxy bottom and steering system overhaul, etc.
> I finally have all the materials, rails, etc, so  Next week I'll start
with the dodger project.
>  thanks to everyone that send dodger pics and gave advice.
> The desings on the attached drawing are the finalists. According to
contemporary designs and the curves on the C38, I'm leaning a little bit
towards option C. With no removable side curtains and more shaded area to
protect from the sun.