[C38] advice. Manual windlass?

Don Strong drstrong at ucdavis.edu
Tue Jan 10 11:30:25 EST 2012

Damas y Caballeros.
We are just back from a sailing adventure in Baja (more on that when I
have finished a blog about it). The boat anchored next to us in
Bollandra cove on Isla Carmen had a manual windlass with which the tiny,
aged woman singlehander raised miles of chain. Today's question for you.
Anyone install a manual windlass on a C38? I'm simply not into the
electricity for a powered windlass even though we have the batteries.
As the years pass, I am facing the specter of needing a windlass.
Thanks, Don

On 1/10/12 8:23 AM, Larry Malmberg wrote:
> Great question, where would you put it given the limited amount of
> space in the engine compartment on a Catalina 38?  I know with my
> "old" engine I could barely check the oil etc. and now even with the
> new one with more space it's a bit cramped.  We did install in the bow
> a electric 12vdc water maker.
>

> Best regards,
>
> Larry Malmberg
> Team Hassle