[C38] Drip less stuff

Larry Malmberg Larrypi at roadrunner.com
Thu Jan 26 11:05:13 EST 2012

Here is some advice from a marine expert friend of mine, someone I trust
implicitly when it comes to boat maintenance and such.

Hi Larry,

"P.S.S. shaft seals are commonly found on many boats and as far as drip less
seals go work well. With that said I don't particularly like drip less seals
(especially for boats that do long distance or offshore sailing)  When (or
if) they have problems they are difficult to repair and in some cases have
caused flooding and even sinking. A traditional paling gland/shaft log is my
preference. I have not seen them used as rudder seal but could be used with
enough clearance I suppose. You may want to look at tides marine rudder
seals as an alternative or rework/pack the traditional packing gland for
Catalina 38' "

Hence I am thinking Tom T and several on the list have the right advice, re
pack with Gortex type packing and live with a little water in the bilge.
BTW I have found that after a heavy sail a few drops of bleach in the bilge
cuts down on a lot of bilge odor.

Best regards,

Larry Malmberg
Team Hassle