[C38] packing gland, "KISS"

Don Strong drstrong at ucdavis.edu
Thu Jan 26 11:23:50 EST 2012

Group: I believe that Larry's friend gives very good advice.  My father
the engineer taught me "KISS," and the traditional packing glad earns a
KISS gold star. Discreet Charm has a traditional, and perhaps the
original, packing gland. With Gortex packing it runs without leaking for
long periods of time. When it begins to drip, I see extra water in the
bilge.  After verifying that the water is actually coming from the gland
(and not the six bags of ice that my son in law left to melt in the
cooler), I loosen up the pair of nuts and give the compressing nut a
half turn (I have two pairs of water pump pliers in the tool bag!).  We
have replaced the packing when the boat is in the water, and the bilge
pump easily kept up with the incoming water while the packing was out.
Don