[C38] Newport Ensenada race

Charles charles at finn.ws
Fri May 4 10:27:57 EDT 2012

Don,
Sorry to report that you have just experienced the classic Hurth
Transmission failure symptoms.
Requires a complete re-build, which takes a couple weeks in the best of
times and costs more than buying a brand new Technodrive  ($1200).  You
do have to adjust your engine mounts down 1/4 inch and you will probably
find out they need to be replaced as well.....

Sorry, but I went through this last year (did the Hurth rebuild, which
failed just out of warranty) and then installed the Technodrive.

Some things to KNOW before contacting your shipyard!
1.  There is enough room to move your prop shaft back and remove the
transmission WITHOUT taking your boat out of the water.   Both Anders
and I have done this!
2. When re-installing, put in a flex coupling, which dampens vibration
and allows for a bit more variation in shaft alignment.
3. It takes about 45 minutes for Anders or me to remove the entire
transmission.  I have the enlarged cut-out in the sail locker  (we are
both over 6" 5".  and I don't bend so well anymore).   It really only
takes unbolting the heat exchanger, linkage and the 8 transmission bolts
after taking the 4 bolts out of the prop shaft connector).
4.  While you have the transmission out is the time to look at motor
mounts.  Yanmar recommends motor mount replacement every couple of years
(they really do!).   The rear mounts are a bear and I recommend having
that done if you have any of the restrictions I do with size, age,
etc.!  BTW, motor mounts are pretty standard things and you don't have
to buy them for the crazy prices you see for example at universal.  I
got my transmission and mounts from Sound Marine Diesel.  Call the early
in the morning (eastern time) or you will get voicemail.  They are very
helpful regarding advice and they back up their products.

Sorry,
Chuck Finn
Mighty Quinn #114
Great Lakes