[C38] Transmission

Max Soto maxsoto at gmail.com
Fri May 4 10:51:13 EDT 2012

Hey Larry, I'm with Chuck..

If the hurth is really a new ZF, and needs to be rebuilt, go with the
Technodrive, also sold as Twin Disc. The new  parts for the old Hurths, now
ZF, are much more expensive and they have very poor quality. Marine engines
manufactures like Phasor Marine and Beta have switched to the Technodrive.
 I replaced a Hurth 125 from my neighbor's sailboat with a technodrive and
it works great. As Chuck mentioned, his engine mounts needed to be
replaced.. He is now motoring without any vibrations..

FYI, when I rebuilted my Hurth HBW100, I bought the parts here:
http://marinegears.com/

I Also bought my friends Twin disc (technodrive) from him.

So far is the cheapest place I have found. PAid around $250 for the kit,
except for the roller bearings and seals, which I bought locally. Ask for
Tony..

Regards,
Max

2012/5/4 Larry Malmberg <Larrypi at roadrunner.com>

> Anyone had experience in re building at Hurth transmission or trouble
> shooting one?  We did the Newport Beach CA to Ensenada BC Mexico race and
> after crossing the finish line started our engine, engaged the trans
> forward, went into natural while dropping sails.  Went into forward and got
> a terrible noise, same with reverse and on motion at all in forward or
> reverse.  No fishing line on the prop, shaft turns slowly even when reving
> up the engine in gear.  Any thoughts?
>

> Best regards,
>
> Larry Malmberg
> Team Hassle