[C38] Transmission

tdtron at earthlink.net tdtron at earthlink.net
Fri May 4 16:09:48 EDT 2012

Hello Larry,

I hate to be an "armchair" mechanic and attempt to diagnose from across
America but the first thing I would do is remove the shifter cable from the
swing arm on the starboard side of the transmission and try shifting
manually while tied to the dock with the engine running.  I know it's
scarry to put your hands on a moving transmission but as long as you keep
away from the output shaft and coupler, you are safe.

It sounds like you may have internal problems but before you start, the
Hurth is very sensitive to shifter adjustments and probably should be
tested first.  The shift cable should be adjusted so the swing arm is
exactly in center at neutral.  If the cable and swing arm are adjusted
properly and it still doesn't shift properly, sometimes you can loosen the
four flange bolts holding the swing arm assembly and actually move the
plate around to find a place where the transmission shifts properly.  I
think they left some play in the mounting bolts for that very reason.

If everything works fine manually shifting without the cable, you are in
luck.  If the transmission still doesn't operate properly by moving the
swing arm manually or still makes internal noises as you indicated, you may
be in for an overhaul.

The hardest thing about overhauling that transmission is just getting it
out of the boat.  As far as transmissions go, it is pretty simple to
overhaul which usually only includes a clutch pack, gaskets and end
bearings unless you actually broke something which is very rare on those
transmissions.

If you don't want to tackle the overhaul if needed, any reputable
transmission shop that works on manual transmissions should be able to help
you.  I was shocked to find many transmissions shops today will not touch a
manual transmission even though they are simple compared to an automatic
automotive transmission.  The Hurth is very simple compared to any manual
automotive transmission but I guess the transmissions technicians
specialize now.

I think I may still  have the Hurth manual if you need to borrow it.

Tom Troncalli