[C38] boom brake?

Pierre Patino pierre.patino at gmail.com
Wed May 23 11:32:20 EDT 2012

Hello all

Sailing in San Francisco Bay can be daunting for beginners. I sometimes let
them have the wheel to allay their fears which in some instances has
resulted in accidental jibes when my attention was elsewhere. I've had to
re-rivet some hardware on the boom and I think the gooseneck crack which I
had to get welded may have been the result of one of those instances.

Trying to be cheap, I went to a climbing store (REI) and got a belaying
device and some rope and tried to rig something up. The results were
unsatisfactory so I went back to rigging preventers as needed.

The Wichard Gybe-easy seems like a good compromise between inattention and
focus. Does anyone else have experience with this device?

Cheers