[C38] Spreader Problem / Sail Re Cut

tdtron at earthlink.net tdtron at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 17 20:58:35 EDT 2012

I don't know if you stated what engine you have but if it is a Universal
5424 and still has the original 2" diameter heat exchanger, that could be
your problem.  The little heat exchanger that came with that engine was
marginal in cold waters and totally inadequate in warmer waters.

I have experienced overheating on two different boats that had the original
heat exchanger.  I replaced mine on my 38 with one that was both longer and
3" diameter which had about twice the cooling capacity of the Universal
original exchanger and I never overheated again, even in warm Florida
coastal and Florida Keys waters.

Tom Troncalli

After replacing the exhaust plumbing I am getting 6 knots at 2ooo rpm at
160 degrees.  It's most common.