[C38] Spreader Problem / Sail Re Cut

fleet2001 at aol.com fleet2001 at aol.com
Mon Jun 18 18:32:26 EDT 2012

I would also add that if it is a 5424 engine, there could be a vapor lock between the coolant reservoir and the thermostat.  I had a leak and replaced the hose and refilled it with coolant but the engine still ran hot.  I removed the thermostat housing and foiund that there was no coolant below the thermostat.. After filling the housing and replacing the thermostat,  the temp returned to between 180 and 190.  There is also a bleeder on the thermostat housing but it is usually difficult to remove because it is square shaped and very small.  In fact I even snapped an open end wrench on it while trying to open it.  That's why I found it easier just to open the entire thermostat housing to add more coolant.  The problem that I see is that the overflow tube on the coolant reservoir is lower that the thermostat housing, so when you fill the reservoir with coolant, it will overflow before it gets to the thermostat housing and beyond.
Rich Grassia
Merriconeag #138