[C38] AC

tdtron at earthlink.net tdtron at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 16 11:10:25 EDT 2012

The Catalina 38, like most sailboats, has no insulation.  I used a 1200 on
my boat which was great at night and also at the dock  if I used an awning
tarp over the boom covering the cabin from the sun.  I later mounted an
extra unit on a bridge I made to span over the v-berth which gave me a
total of 2200 BTU and with both running I could cool the boat in minutes
after being locked up in the Florida sun but I seldom used the extra 1000
unit and eventually removed it from the boat and it is now in our lake
boat, a Catalina 27.  I have attempted to show a picture of the bridge
mounted forward A/C.  The bridge is a great thing to have with or without
the A/C mounted on it.  When we went on long cruises, we used the bridge to
hold extra supplies, life cushions, vests, etc.  The bridge was mounted
only by gravity so we could remove it in seconds but it was high enough to
not interfere with anyone using the v-berth.

My 1200 BTU main unit was mounted under the navigation station which gave a
pretty good air flow to the cabin but during the day the v-berth was fairly
warm but OK at night unless we had the forward unit on board.

Both of my A/C units were converted home window units but converting them
can be a problem if you aren't familiar with doing A/C work.  If anyone
wants information on a marine conversion, email me.  It really isn't
difficult, especially if you do the work and have a licensed A/C repairman
do the refrigerant extration and re-charging.

One nice thing, beside price, is home units usually come with remote hand
controls.  We usually slept in the cabin and it was nice to be able to
change fan or temperature settings without having to get up.

Tom Troncalli
Ex owner #95

on line say I should use around 11,000 BTU's. Any ideas?