[C38] Symetrical Spinnakers

les hlhowell at pacbell.net
Mon Aug 6 14:29:13 EDT 2012

Hi, guys and gals,
	Just wanted to add an old Navy guy's input...

	The PL259 connectors are two parts, the screw down shell, and the
casing with the insulator and center conductor.  Remove the shell and
slide it down the coax.  I sometimes use a bit of tape or tie a string
around the coax to make sure it keeps out of the way of my soldering.
Measure the coax back about 3/4" and cut away the insulation and braid
and then remove the insulation from the center conductor.  Remove about
1/2" of the outer insulation, leaving the braid intact.  Carefully
thread the braid into the connector and make sure the center conductor
protrudes from the center pin of the connector.  Check to see that you
can see the braid inside the holes of the outer portion of the
connector.  Solder the center conductor.  Carefully solder the shield
(the braid) in each of the holes.  They are spaced so that all the wires
in the braid will be held by solder.

	Make sure the joint is shiny.  A dull look to the solder means it is
not well done and will probably have flux still embedded in the solder.
But be careful not to overheat the coax, as the neoprene will swell and
change dimension if too hot.  Buy a couple of extra connectors and a
foot or two of coax and practice first before tackling the good stuff if
this is your first attempt.  Use a soldering iron on the center cable,
about 25 or 30 watts.  You can use a soldering gun if you are careful on
the insulation.

	After soldering, clean the connector very well. In the past you could
use alcohol, but some fluxes today will not dissolve in alcohol, so read
the solder and check the manufacturers spec for cleaning.

	If you do not use the connection right away, clean it again before
installation.  This second cleaning can be alcohol.

	Install the connector.  If using a barrel connector, install both
cables, Use a bit of silicon to seal the area where the insulation meets
the connector.  Using self sealing tape, start about 1-2" up the cable
from the connector, and wrap smoothly stretching the wrap as you go.
The stretch breaks microcapsuls in the tape and causes the self healing
attachment of the sealing tape.  Wrap to 1-2" beyond the second
connector on the second coax.  A connection made this way will last up
to 5 years in tropical conditions.  Longer in the US.

	Sealing the cable is mandatory if it is to work well at radar
frequencies.  The cable is typically air insulated, using a sort of
neoprene tube with a spiral of neoprene around the wire to support it in
the tube to improve its characteristics.  If it is not sealed moisture
will get in and reduce the range of the radar to next to nothing.

	This is not rocket science, but attention to detail will provide the
best results.

Regards,
Les H