[C38] Results

Charles Finn charles at finn.ws
Mon Aug 27 15:23:04 EDT 2012

First a heartfelt thanks to the team who put this together!  Kerry, Bob, Dave and Anders worked hard to organize and execute a very successful day!  It began with a breakfast meeting in a private room at a nearby restraunt where we got to know each other and make final plans for the day.  Kerry had some problems getting his boat to the marina the night before and we decided to start a bit later, which is fine because the Bay winds are weak to non existant in the morning, building during the day.   Kerry had laid out a challenging course that was tweaked a bit by the Captains to accommodate the "other race" going on that day.
The course began outside Sasaulito, over to Alcatraz and one and a half times around, then up past Angel Island to beat up Raccoon Straights to a finish near that "other race".  The  course required boats to perform at about every point of sail, with wind tactics being a key component for success.  Anyone who has beat up Raccoon Straits in 25 kts. knows how much fun that can be!
About the only thing Kerry wasn't able to throw in was some of the huge tidal flows that the Bay is also known for. (tides were slack water and beginning of flood. Zero to three kts.).
After our race, the "fleet" went to watch the other race, sometimes getting within almost hailing distance with the Cup boats.   The last fleet race was really amazing, with team Oracle pursuing two strategies... With Stillwell's boat just blowing by the competition.  Wind tactics werejust as important for the Cup racers as they were for us!
We then returned to the dock for the awards dinner and of course a chance to "inspect" each others boats!  It is truly amazing to see all the innovations our captains are making to our C38s as the are upgraded and modified to keep them current and competitive!

Oh yes!  The results!  Truth is we all won, but I know Larry will bug me until the details are revealed!

First:       Dave & Deanna McCarthy – SV Pretty Lady #148
Second:  Kerry Grimes – Little Breeze #139
Third:     Doby Class - Obsession
Fourth:    Bob Kirby – Enfin #134

By the way, Anders will be mounting photos and results on our website shortly.  We will let everyone know when they are up.
AND!!!!  Our NEXT race, which will be one not to miss! It will be held the weekend prior to the 2013 Americas Cup again in the Bay!  We think this will allow our boats to make the event a vacation experience that will unforgettable!  This event will be a series race of the sort we traditionally have for Nationals.

Regards,
Chuck Finn
Commodore
Catalina 38 International Association