[C38] Results

Max Soto maxsoto at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 19:55:25 EDT 2012

So glad to know that you guys had a great time. Wish I would have been able
to join the competition, but you bet I'll be there for sure on 2013
(without Estancia of course, so hopefully somebody will need a crew
member!)
Can't wait to see the pics.

Regards,

Max Soto
C38 #198 ESTANCIA
Puntarenas, Costa Rica

2012/8/27 Charles Finn <charles at finn.ws>

> First a heartfelt thanks to the team who put this together!  Kerry, Bob,
> Dave and Anders worked hard to organize and execute a very successful day!
>  It began with a breakfast meeting in a private room at a nearby restraunt
> where we got to know each other and make final plans for the day.  Kerry
> had some problems getting his boat to the marina the night before and we
> decided to start a bit later, which is fine because the Bay winds are weak
> to non existant in the morning, building during the day.   Kerry had laid
> out a challenging course that was tweaked a bit by the Captains to
> accommodate the "other race" going on that day.
> The course began outside Sasaulito, over to Alcatraz and one and a half
> times around, then up past Angel Island to beat up Raccoon Straights to a
> finish near that "other race".  The  course required boats to perform at
> about every point of sail, with wind tactics being a key component for
> success.  Anyone who has beat up Raccoon Straits in 25 kts. knows how much
> fun that can be!
> About the only thing Kerry wasn't able to throw in was some of the huge
> tidal flows that the Bay is also known for. (tides were slack water and
> beginning of flood. Zero to three kts.).
> After our race, the "fleet" went to watch the other race, sometimes
> getting within almost hailing distance with the Cup boats.   The last fleet
> race was really amazing, with team Oracle pursuing two strategies... With
> Stillwell's boat just blowing by the competition.  Wind tactics werejust as
> important for the Cup racers as they were for us!
> We then returned to the dock for the awards dinner and of course a chance
> to "inspect" each others boats!  It is truly amazing to see all the
> innovations our captains are making to our C38s as the are upgraded and
> modified to keep them current and competitive!
>
> Oh yes!  The results!  Truth is we all won, but I know Larry will bug me
> until the details are revealed!
>
> First:       Dave & Deanna McCarthy – SV Pretty Lady #148
> Second:  Kerry Grimes – Little Breeze #139
> Third:     Doby Class - Obsession
> Fourth:    Bob Kirby – Enfin #134
>
> By the way, Anders will be mounting photos and results on our website
> shortly.  We will let everyone know when they are up.
> AND!!!!  Our NEXT race, which will be one not to miss! It will be held the
> weekend prior to the 2013 Americas Cup again in the Bay!  We think this
> will allow our boats to make the event a vacation experience that will
> unforgettable!  This event will be a series race of the sort we
> traditionally have for Nationals.
>
> Regards,
> Chuck Finn
> Commodore