[C38] sail polars - Hassle's Polars attached

Steve Smolinske SSmolinske at rainierrubber.com
Wed Sep 5 02:26:03 EDT 2012

Before Transpac we had polars run for our big white symmetric (its 1.9
of J about 10% bigger than the class size) and our asymmetric chutes
(all about the same size as the white one).  There is very little
difference in the speed between the two.   Overall it looks like the
asyms do just a smidgen better than the syms in winds over 12 knots and
at angles of 90-130 degrees.  Below 12 the curves practically lay on top
of each other, just a very slight differential advantage for the asyms
between 90-110.   I think the biggest advantage of the asym is that it
is easier to handle, with a pole you can carry it deeper, but I think at
least we are starting to feel on Peregrine that the boat does better
with deeper angles and a symmetric chute and the asyms for more reachy
stuff.   But we still don't feel we have it  zeroed in just a gut
feeling.