[C38] C38 Nationals and C38 Fleet formed on the Chesapeake

Charles charles at finn.ws
Fri Sep 28 11:50:36 EDT 2012

So.  Let's make it OFFICIAL!   We now have Three Fleets:  San
Francisco,   Northwest,  and Chesapeake!

I have been discussing the future of the Catalina 38 Nationals with
previous Commodores and Fleet folks over the past month and I think we
have an exciting new way to promote our signature race.
A brief history is needed first.  C38 Nationals were held from 1979-2009
in Southern California, but a combination of declining participation,
interest, and/or exhaustion led to the last races having only a few
boats participating.  At the same time, fleets of C38s were becoming
larger and more active in other parts of the country.  The 2009 race had
the same four boats that had regularly participated for several years.
It is remarkable looking at the results to see roughly the same finishes
over those years.

Many of us were sorry to see such a long tradition end and decided to do
something about it!  We decided to move Nationals to San Francisco this
year to take advantage of the large fleet in the Bay as well as the
America's Cup venue to raise interest and excitement with a new group of
folks and this worked out quite well.  There is even more interest in
next year's event, with planning already underway by the San Francisco
contingent.

So after significant discussion with folks who have indicated their
willingness to take this on, here is the Catalina 38 Nationals racing
venue for the next few years.

2013:  San Francisco Regatta will plan and host the Nationals.
Preliminary planning sets the date as the weekend prior to America's Cup
so Captains can both race and attend the Cup races.
2014:  Northwest Fleet, with leadership from or Technical Editor, Steve
Smolinske, will plan and host Nationals probably at Steve's club.
2015:  Chesapeake Fleet with host National under the leadership of Dan
Miller
2016:  To be decided, but I think first option should be offered to the
Southern California folks.
And then we begin rounds again!

I am quite excited about this new venue!  It will provide opportunities
for more boats to participate and should provoke both interest and
excitement around the country for clearly one of the classic
cruiser/racers of our time.  I hope with a clear venue and closer
proximity to many Captains around the country, we will take advantage of
these opportunities to keep our organization healthy and growing through
the years.

Chuck Finn
Commodore
Catalina 38 International Association