[C38] Starter solenoid? Universal diesel 24 hp

Steven Ribble steve.ribble at gmail.com
Sun Oct 7 16:28:49 EDT 2012

The other trick is to "jump" the solenoid. I used to bypass it using two
screwdrivers (holding the handles, cross the metal shafts and touch the
tips to the solenoid terminals). Starter switch should be on/pressed when
making your connection. Worked well on an old VW I had in college.

Steve R.
Tittravate
On Oct 7, 2012 3:52 PM, "Marci Brown" <mb at seafor.us> wrote:

> Our “Check’s in the Mail” has never had starter problems... until
yesterday. After glowplugs and throttle positioning, I turned the key. I
heard the fuel pump and starter motor in operation. However, the starter
did not engage to the engine after 3 tries. (The engine did not turn over
at all.) Starter solenoid trouble is my guess, and thanks to Tom Troncalli,
we know we can buy one at Advance Auto Parts (#28-5009/GP Sorenson brand).
But first, I’d like to hear your diagnostic experiences.