[C38] Prop strut crack

Phil Gay eyriepg at comcast.net
Mon Jan 28 13:00:04 EST 2013

In strut1, you can see part of the propeller.  From what I can see, it looks
like the shaft should rotate counterclockwise in forward considering the
shape of the propeller.  Does the Universal diesel turn counter
clockwise(looking forward)?  It's not relevant to the topic, but could the
prop be put on backward?

While I'm contributing, I need to comment that I had my strut replaced soon
after I bought the boat.  It was loose due to the previous owner bending the
strut to get the prop shaft out without removing the rudder.  The PO was a
big guy.  On my 1980 boat the strut is dropped in from inside the boat and
glassed in place.  It was repaired and has no problem.  I've been putting
off repairing my leaking shaft log for 14 years though.

Phil Gay (with a Yanmar)

C38 049 Que Linda

Everett WA